Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hitting the Gas.

After commuting by public bus to my day job for a couple of years straight, I've decided that the following conditions warrant the inauguration of this blog:

1. The Hampton Roads public transportation system and its demographic (to which I do not belong...explanation to follow)
2. The random thoughts that do a 40-ounce-fueled driveby on my brain
3. The inane day job that gives me a twisted reason to ride the Bus of Sin and Suffering

I should also state that this will be an anonymous blog. I don't plan on exposing my identity in here, mainly because I firmly predict I will make observations that others will find equally offensive and true.

Nothing is off limits. Nothing.

That being said, let me explain to you why I ride the bus. It's cheaper than buying gas. Until something shakes the tree and gas prices drop like Bush's approval rating, I'll continue to ride the bus to work. It's less wear and tear on my car and it's better for the environment. In fact, if your takeaway from this is that I ride the bus to be more "green", that's cool with me.

But I have to admit, there are other reasons I ride the bus. Here's a list...You'll soon learn that I really like lists...

1. I have about 3 hours a day to do whatever one can get away with on a crowded bus.
2. Someone else drives.
3. I get to people-watch.

I should elaborate on number three. The first two are pretty self explanatory, but I really need to break down that third one.

If you yourself are a transit trooper, you probably know what I'm talking about. And hopefully, you don't ride in a completely white bread vanilla transit system that is totally devoid of the colorful element (and no, I'm not using that phrase as a euphemism for black people). Fortunately for me, the HRT is a steaming smorgasbord of characters. It's like a casting call for a David Lynch film.

Now, local perceptions of public transit are pretty solid. If you're from the Hampton Roads area and you don't ride the bus, you're exactly right in your assumptions. If you're not from here or you've never ridden a public bus, here's the breakdown...Again with the list...

1. Financially challenged (a.k.a poor) people
2. Black people
3. Persons suffering from any manner of mental affliction
4. The formerly incarcerated
5. Any mixture of 1-4.

Throw in there the assorted Latino, wheelchair rider, punk, and professional whose car is in the shop and you got the crowd I hang with. My bus peeps.

And now, you're in. You've paid your buck and a half and you've found a seat next to me. Right behind the smelly Jamaican guy.

Let's roll.

No comments: